Monday, May 20, 2013

Who Is Handling It?

"This is more than I can handle!" Sound familiar? Few and far between are those who can honestly say that they have never said or thought that statement. For me, I don't have enough fingers to count the times. The adversity that I face stretches across a broad range. From relationships to money to changing the decisions that people are making. Lately these moment seem to be coming at a rapid fire pace.

Fortunately God has provided me times in my life when there has been no doubt that what has happened, happened because of Him. Let me just give you my main "case in point". On the night of October 30th, 1996, I wound up in the ER because I was in the middle of a severe stroke. The neurosurgeon did not believe that I would be walking or talking again. A month later as I sat in his office for my follow up visit, the doctor sat there with a look of shock on his face telling me how he doesn't understand how I could be sitting there talking to him. Now, I did have some significant permanent losses but by the grace of God I was able to have a fairly significant and quick recovery.

I use this a reminder on a regular basis. If God can do things which cause a neurosurgeon to sit back in awe then I believe He can handle all of the struggles that each day brings to me. So what prompts me to write about this today? Here is the story. About a year ago I sat with a young lady and found out she was pregnant. She also told me she wanted to have an abortion. A couple of hours later her mind was changed. A week or so later she came to me again to let me know she had changed her mind. A couple of hours later she was back on track. Last December I got to hold the beautiful little girl and even got to teach her mom and dad the basics of changing her, feeding her, etc.

Last week this young lady came to me again. Now the last two months have been very tough for her. Her boyfriend (that baby's father, and a good father too) had been arrested in a "guilty by association" situation two months ago. A few weeks ago her half brother had been murdered. Shortly after that her elementary age son began acting up in school. So she came to me to let me know she was pregnant again (from her boyfriend who is still in jail) and that she did not believe she could handle another pregnancy. An hour or two later she had consented to stay with the pregnancy. This morning I got a text saying she couldn't.

So I sit and stare off into space. I had made this statement/question to my wife last week: "Why is it that we, who have a heart and desire to help many people, have no money and yet there are so many with money who could care less about others?" As I stare off into space I remind myself that this is not my problem. Not that I shouldn't do all I can but rather that God will enable me and provide for me to do what His will is for this situation. God is responsible to make it work. I am responsible to just do the work with faith.

If I were to be fully able then I may (actually I know I would) take credit. Yes, I am at a point in my life where my life is more than I can handle. I am fine with that though because I know that God can handle it. Philippians 4:6-7 says:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 


Can you help me by also praying for me to have God’s strength, wisdom, and provisions as I try to help and guide this young lady? 

Thanks and God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment